German fortifications (1940 – 1945)

i kategorien English Publisert . Sist endret .

Brukervurdering: 1 / 5

Sjerne aktivStjerne inaktivStjerne inaktivStjerne inaktivStjerne inaktiv
 

During the war the Germans built many fortifications along the Norwegian coast. Mandal had several fortresses, the largest at Landehobde just west of the town. There were also constructions in Furulunden. The most extensive were an air runway and a hangar at the Vestnes fields. In Furulunden there were several fortifications. These are documented and marked on the map.

Remains of German occupation:

  1. Kallhammerodden – here are two positions – machine guns with trenches.
  2. Prestheia – a simple stand for machine guns built in rock.
  3. Bankebukta – a trench was built through a small plateau towards Bankebukta.
  4. Between Sandbergs hei, Lysthuset, and Bankebukta the Germans built barracks.
  5. Sandbergs hei – a shelter was built in the hillside. The shelter went straight through the hill.
  6. Bunker at Bankebroa – a concrete construction with relatively thick walls and roof. At the bridgehead a mobile cannon of smaller calibre was stationed.
  7. Svineholmen – at the far end five small bunkers were raised and concrete platforms were built for artillery.
  8. Verksbrygga – Spidsboheia – protection for sentry at the path towards the hill. At Spidsbo there was a bunker partly in rock with the entry roofed over in concrete. This was destroyed after the war.
  9. The hill between Spidsbo and Kanelstranda – at Spidsbo there was a bunker partly in the rock, but with roof and walls over the exit in concrete. Trenches and artillery stands were built in the area.
  10. The hill between Kanelstranda and Stumpestranda – a bunker was built partly in rock, partly with walls and roof in concrete. There were made protection for gun posts and built trenches up to the artillery.
  11. Stumpestranda towards Stumpeodden – trenches were built here towards the artillery in the area.
  12. The arbour of Lord Salvesen – from the lower end of the arbour trenches were built towards Lordestranda.
  13. Loshola – below the path, just before the top of the plateau of the Loshola there was a foundation for artillery.
  14. Bestemor/Sjøsandveien – west of the road there is a concrete bunker below the sand.

All buildings at Risøbank were confiscated by the Germans. Large parts of the area towards the sea were full of mines, and there were many barbed wire fences. After the war altogether 2551 mines were removed from the area.

English translation: Kirsti Birkeland og Liv Smith